Academies @ Roxborough Teacher Wins Lindback Award
Rebecca Yacker, Roxborough High School.
Yacker, an English teacher at Roxborough for the past two years, has impacted the school through her high expectations and innovative teaching strategies. Yacker began her career in education through community-based initiatives in AmeriCorps in various high-needs Philadelphia neighborhood high schools. Her passion and dedication have revitalized Roxborough’s school community.
Since 1961, the foundation has been recognizing outstanding faculty members at colleges and universities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey with the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching.
This award recognizes individuals:
- who create a positive, supportive learning environment to advance student proficiency in academic subjects, making learning relevant and fun;
- who serve as a role model to students;
- who establish trusting relationships with students, parents, guardians, and community members by being open and accessible for communication;
- who motivate students to learn, explore and maximize their spirit of inquiry and critical thinking;
- who possess knowledge and demonstrate various instructional strategies;
- who connect collaborating and inspiring co-workers to energize students in positive ways; and
- who have not won the award within a ten-year period
A central committee of School District administrators and a Philadelphia Federation of Teachers representative will review and make the final selection for each winner. (Lindback Foundation)
Read more in the Lindback article in the Inquirer.